Samsung’s varied line of flagship handsets continues to impress in the ever-changing world of smartphones. Two of its most recent releases, the Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra and the Samsung Galaxy S23 FE, have piqued the interest of tech fans. Both phones have excellent features and specifications, but they are aimed at significantly different demographics. In this detailed comparison, we’ll look at their specifications, features, and costs to help you determine which one is ideal for you.
- Release Date: February 17, 2023
- Weight: 234g
- Operating System: Android 13, One UI 5.1
- Storage Options: 256GB/512GB/1TB (no card slot)
- Display: 6.8-inch Dynamic AMOLED 2X, 1440 x 3088 pixels, 120Hz refresh rate, HDR10+, up to 1750 nits peak brightness
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 2
- RAM: 8GB/12GB
- Battery: 5000mAh Li-Ion
- Main Camera: Quad-camera setup including a 200MP primary lens, 10MP periscope telephoto lens, 10MP telephoto lens, and a 12MP ultrawide lens
- Selfie Camera: 12MP
- Speakers: Stereo speakers tuned by AKG
- Connectivity: 5G, Wi-Fi 6e, Bluetooth 5.3, NFC, USB Type-C 3.2, UWB support
- Additional Features: In-display fingerprint sensor, S Pen support, IP68 dust/water resistance, Samsung DeX, Samsung Wireless DeX, Samsung Pay, Always-on display
- Price: Starting at $859.00 (prices may vary by region)
- Release Date: Not officially announced yet
- Weight: Not specified
- Operating System: Android 13, One UI 5.1
- Storage Options: 128GB/256GB (no card slot)
- Display: 6.4-inch Dynamic AMOLED 2X, 1080 x 2340 pixels, 120Hz refresh rate, HDR10+
- Processor: Exynos 2200 (International) or Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 (USA)
- RAM: 6GB/8GB
- Battery: 4500mAh Li-Ion
- Main Camera: Triple-camera setup including a 50MP primary lens, 12MP telephoto lens, and 8MP ultrawide lens
- Selfie Camera: 10MP
- Speakers: Stereo speakers
- Connectivity: 5G, Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth 5.3, NFC, USB Type-C
- Additional Features: In-display optical fingerprint sensor, IP68 dust/water resistance, Samsung DeX, Samsung Pay, Always-on display
- Price: Pricing details are not available at this time
Design and Build Comparison
The Galaxy S23 Ultra and S23 FE both feature a premium build with Gorilla Glass on the front and rear, giving them a sleek and modern appearance. However, the S23 Ultra has an aluminum frame, making it slightly more robust and premium-feeling than the S23 FE, which features a plastic back.
Both phones are IP68-rated for dust and water resistance, providing peace of mind against accidental spills and exposure to the elements.
The S23 Ultra boasts a larger and more visually impressive 6.8-inch Dynamic AMOLED 2X display with a higher resolution and peak brightness. Its 120Hz refresh rate ensures smooth scrolling and a highly responsive touch experience. On the other hand, the S23 FE offers a 6.4-inch Dynamic AMOLED 2X display with slightly lower resolution and brightness. While it still provides a fantastic viewing experience, it falls short of the S23 Ultra’s display capabilities.
In terms of performance, both phones are powerhouses. The S23 Ultra is equipped with the Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 chipset, providing top-notch processing power and graphics performance. The S23 FE, depending on the region, may come with either the Exynos 2200 or Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 chipset, both of which deliver excellent performance for everyday tasks and high end gaming.
The S23 Ultra features a quad-camera system with an astonishing 200MP primary sensor, ensuring exceptional detail in your photos. Additionally, it includes versatile telephoto and ultrawide lenses for various photography scenarios. The S23 FE, while still impressive, has a triple-camera setup with a 50MP primary sensor, which may not match the S23 Ultra’s level of detail.
Battery Life Comparison
Battery life is a critical factor for most users. The S23 Ultra offers a larger 5000mAh battery, which, coupled with Samsung’s power-efficient software optimizations, ensures long-lasting performance. In contrast, the S23 FE’s 4500mAh battery is still substantial and should provide a full day of use but may not quite match the S23 Ultra’s endurance.
One of the most significant differences between these two phones is their expected price points. As of now, the Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra is available at a starting price of $859.00, making it a premium flagship device. On the other hand, the Samsung Galaxy S23 FE’s pricing details are not officially announced yet, but it is expected to be more budget-friendly, targeting a broader consumer base.
Finally, the decision between the Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra and the Samsung Galaxy S23 FE comes down to your priorities and budget. The S23 Ultra is a premium device with top-tier performance, an exceptional camera system, and a gorgeous display. The S23 FE, on the other hand, is projected to deliver a more affordable option with remarkable capabilities, making it more accessible to a larger spectrum of consumers. Consider your needs and budget before deciding which of these Samsung smartphones is best for you.