The Google Play Store offers a wide range of apps, games, and content to enhance your digital experience. It’s worth noting that the availability of apps and other content on the Google Play Store can differ depending on the country or region. If you’ve recently relocated or are planning to, adjusting your country or region in the Google Play Store is essential for accessing content and services specific to your new location.
The Once-a-Year Limit
Google has put a restriction in place: you can only change your Play Store country once every 12 months. Therefore, it’s crucial to be absolutely certain about your decision before making the switch, as you won’t be able to change back for another year.
Additionally, keep in mind that your Google Play balance from your previous country cannot be used in the new one, so it’s essential to utilize those funds before making the switch. Also, be sure to cancel any subscriptions to apps you no longer intend to use.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll walk you through the steps to change your country or region in the Google Play Store, whether you’re using a desktop or an Android device. We’ll also highlight the necessary requirements for this process.
Before diving into the process of changing your Google Play country, it’s important to be aware of the prerequisites:
- Valid IP Address: To change your country, you must be physically present in the new country. Your device should have a valid IP address associated with that location.
- Valid Payment Method: You’ll need a valid payment method from the new country to set up your payment profile in the Google Play Store. You can also make use of a virtual card service for this step, which would normally provide you with a Mastercard or Visa virtual payment card.
Now, let’s explore the steps for changing your country or region on both desktop and Android devices.
How to Change Your Google Play Country (Desktop):
Changing your Google Play country from your desktop is a straightforward process. Follow these steps:
- Visit pay.google.com: Open your web browser and go to pay.google.com. Then, navigate to “Settings” and select “Payments profile.”
- Edit Country/Region: Next to “Country/Region,” you’ll see an “Edit” option, represented by a pencil icon. Click on it.
- Create a New Payment Profile: Google will prompt you to create a new payment profile for the country or region you want to switch to. Click on “Create a new profile” and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Select Payment Method: The first payment method you add must correspond to the country or region of your new profile. After setting up your profile, you can add payment methods from other countries or regions.
- Wait for the Change: After completing these steps, the Google Play Store will automatically change to your new country or region. Keep in mind that country changes can take up to 48 hours to process and must match your current IP address. If you’re not physically present in the new country, you’ll need to use a VPN.
Please note that if you don’t see the “Country and Profiles” option, it means that Google has determined you can’t change your Play Store country. This might be due to recent changes or your current location, where Google does not allow this change. If you’re temporarily abroad and need an app available only in your home country, you might still find it by searching for it.
How to Change Your Google Play Country (Android):
Changing your Google Play country on your Android device is equally feasible. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- Access the Google Play Store: Open the Google Play Store app on your Android phone or tablet. Then, tap your profile icon located at the top right and select “Settings.”
- Navigate to Account and Device Preferences: Tap “General,” and from there, select “Account and device preferences” from the menu.
- Select Your New Country: Under “Country and Profiles,” choose the country where you want to add an account. Google will display only the countries related to your current IP address. You must physically be in a different country or use a VPN to select it.
- Add a Payment Method: Follow the on-screen instructions to add a payment method for the new country. Keep in mind that your profile may take up to 48 hours to update. If you encounter any issues with the Play Store, consult our guide on potential fixes.
To sum it up:
By changing your Google Play country or region, you can gain access to a wide range of new content and services, enhancing your digital experience and making it more tailored to your preferences. Nevertheless, given the restriction of only being able to modify it once annually, it is crucial to thoughtfully evaluate your choice and make appropriate arrangements.
By adhering to the instructions provided in this guide, you can effortlessly change the country associated with your Google Play Store account, regardless of whether you’re using a desktop computer or an Android device. Make sure you meet all the necessary requirements, including having a valid IP address and payment method. Stay patient as you go through the transition process.
Feel free to discover new apps, games, and services that are customized for your preferred region and fully enjoy your Google Play experience!